mercredi 10 octobre 2007

I'm not late, I'm a perfectionist!

Yes I have an annoying problem with time, as a lot of entrepreneur have: seems I don't have enough of it! And lately, my «normal» 8am to 8pm work schedule isn't working for me anymore. Oh no, I -sigh- am -I hate to say it- TIRED (damn!)!

Well recently, being tired and having to stop, I had time to think more, think about my time management problem. Why do I have the feeling that I'm always running late, or that I can't manage to do all my to-do list?

Well, the obvious answer: Exactly!

I'm always running late and I can't manage my 20 daily to-do list. Now the less obvious question: How come?

And to that: I'm a perfectionist (damn again!) and I am easily distracted.

I have an important meeting? Schedule at 9 am? Well, I've better wake up early! I can't open the TV (devilish distraction), had to have prepared my material the day(s) before and opening my computer that morning is out of the question! So everything has to be perfect, I can't forget anything, have to look pro and comfy (disaster if it's a PMS day!) and, oh no, must not miss my bus!

And my 20 to-do list? Obviously, I'm not an octopus (though I'm sure the Chinese missed that critter in their astrology!) so 20 things to do is, well, plain impossible! And my distracted mind being, well, «away» mostly, I tend to start something, change room and forget what I was doing, so starting another task to then have a light bulb moment and remember whatever I was doing. I am wasting time people!

So what are my options? I mean, besides the shrink and pills :)

Here I give you my Less than 20 how-to-manage-my-time item list
1- Be real: expand my 20 to do list from a daily to a weekly thing.
2- Stop obsessing about minor detail: only you see them and nobody gives a sh...
3- If you think it's gonna take you doing a task, double that time.
4- Have a deadline you don't think you can meet? Ask for help!
5- Too much perfectionism = obsessive-compulsiveness. Note to self: I don't want to become insane.
6- Organization is good. Using your organization-gizmo to actually save time is better. Having too much organization-gizmo will somehow waste your time, so purge some (it will also clean up your hardrive)!
7- Celebrate your small accomplishments: positive reimforcement works, even when doing it on self.
8- Here's a tought: REST! When you're rested, you tend to be more concentrated and effecient the next day!
9- Stop taking on jobs-task-craft lessons if you can't managed the load! Add one only when one is done.
10- Repete after me: YOU CAN MAKE ERRORS. ERRORS ARE GOOD.
11- Stop trying to find more items to this list if you can't find more; you can always come back later!

Voilà, I'm going back to my work now; yes, this was not planned in my daily to-do schedule, but, you know, though I'm self confessed distracted perfectionnist, I also like to have some fun in my day!

0 commentaires: